More From H. L. Mencken
- "The chief contribution of Protestantism to human thought is its massive proof that God is a bore."
- "I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time."
- "The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out… without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable."
More In Experience
- "How is it possible that a being with such sensitive jewels as the eyes, such enchanted musical instruments as the ears, and such fabulous arabesque of nerves as the brain can experience itself anything less than a god."― Alan Watts
- "I don’t think I would have been able to stick with it and been proud of who I am and be feminine out on the court. I think I would have folded to the peer pressure if I didn’t have my mom to encourage me to be me and be proud of how tall I am."― Lisa Leslie
- "Not only did I avoid speaking of Salinger; I resisted thinking about him. I did not reread his letters to me. The experience had been too painful."― Joyce Maynard