More From H. L. Mencken
- "Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance."
- "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
- "For it is mutual trust, even more than mutual interest that holds human associations together. Our friends seldom profit us but they make us feel safe. Marriage is a scheme to accomplish exactly that same end."
More In Government
- "Somehow liberals have been unable to acquire from life what conservatives seem to be endowed with at birth: namely, a healthy skepticism of the powers of government agencies to do good."― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
- "If I was afraid of being killed, I would never speak out against the government."― Aung San Suu Kyi
- "We need to reclaim our American system of limited government, low taxes, reasonable regulations, and sound money, which has blessed us with unprecedented prosperity. And it has done more to help the poor than any other economic system ever designed."― Paul Ryan