More From H. L. Mencken
- "The worst government is often the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression."
- "A bad man is the sort who weeps every time he speaks of a good woman."
- "Poetry has done enough when it charms, but prose must also convince."
More In Men
- "If men and women are to understand each other, to enter into each other’s nature with mutual sympathy, and to become capable of genuine comradeship, the foundation must be laid in youth."― Havelock Ellis
- "Until the men of action clear out the talkers we who have social consciences are at the mercy of those who have none."― George Bernard Shaw
- "As far as men go, it is not what they are that interests me, but what they can become."― Jean-Paul Sartre