More From H. L. Mencken
- "Whenever a husband and wife begin to discuss their marriage they are giving evidence at a coroner’s inquest."
- "A national political campaign is better than the best circus ever heard of, with a mass baptism and a couple of hangings thrown in."
- "When women kiss it always reminds one of prize fighters shaking hands."
More In Men
- "You can tell the strength of a nation by the women behind its men."― Benjamin Disraeli
- "Bad men are full of repentance."― Aristotle
- "A time will come when a politician who has willfully made war and promoted international dissension will be as sure of the dock and much surer of the noose than a private homicide. It is not reasonable that those who gamble with men’s lives should not stake their own."― H. G. Wells