More From Gerrit Smith
- "It is not to be disguised, that a war has broken out between the North and the South. – Political and commercial men are industriously striving to restore peace: but the peace, which they would effect, is superficial, false, and temporary."
- "It is manifestly vital to the success of the anti-slavery cause, that the authority and influence of proslavery, especially of slaveholding, ministers should be destroyed."
- "The only ground on which a neutral State can claim respect at the hands of belligerents is, that, so far as she is concerned, their rights are protected."
More In Marriage
- "Always get married in the morning. That way if it doesn’t work out, you haven’t wasted the whole day."― Mickey Rooney
- "National security is the first duty of government but we are also committed to reversing the substantial erosion of civil liberties."― Theresa May
- "Marriage is an attempt to solve problems together which you didn’t even have when you were on your own."― Eddie Cantor