More From Gerrit Smith
- "The only ground on which a neutral State can claim respect at the hands of belligerents is, that, so far as she is concerned, their rights are protected."
- "I welcomed the organization of the Anti-slavery Society."
- "It is not to be disguised, that a war has broken out between the North and the South. – Political and commercial men are industriously striving to restore peace: but the peace, which they would effect, is superficial, false, and temporary."
More In Marriage
- "I still believe in marriage."― Frank Bruno
- "Well, marriage doesn’t function in the way it used to in terms of deciding our fate, but it’s in our heads, and it determines a lot of our actions. Like, right now, if you think about gay marriage – and they just started having the first gay marriages in New York – it shows what a potent idea marriage remains for people."― Jeffrey Eugenides
- "Most of these alternative arrangements, so-called, arise out of the ruins of marriages, not as an improvement of old fashioned marriage."― Christopher Lasch