More From Gerrit Smith
- "The only ground on which a neutral State can claim respect at the hands of belligerents is, that, so far as she is concerned, their rights are protected."
- "I trust, that your readers will not construe my words to mean, that I would not have gone to a 3 o’clock in the morning session, for the sake of defeating the Nebraska bill."
- "True, permanent peace can never be restored, until slavery, the occasion of the war, has ceased."
More In Marriage
- "Grudge no expense – yield to no opposition – forget fatigue – till, by the strength of prayer and sacrifice, the spirit of love shall have overcome ."― Maria Weston Chapman
- "Give me a couple of years, and I’ll make that actress an overnight success."― Samuel Goldwyn
- "The bonds of matrimony are like any other bonds – they mature slowly."― Peter De Vries