More From George Will
- "Government has the role of suiting people for freedom. People aren’t made for freedom spontaneously. There’s sort of a 19-year race between when people are born and when they become adults. And government has a role in making them, at the end of 19 years, suited to be upright, trustworthy repositories of popular sovereignty."
- "I suppose there’s a melancholy tone at the back of the American mind, a sense of something lost. And it’s the lost world of Thomas Jefferson. It is the lost sense of innocence that we could live with a very minimal state, with a vast sense of space in which to work out freedom."
- "Leadership is, among other things, the ability to inflict pain and get away with it – short-term pain for long-term gain."
More In Politics
- "I want to stay away from politics, or else I’ll probably end up putting my size fifteen foot into my mouth."― Peter Steele
- "Time is the devourer of all things."― Ovid
- "That is why everyone in politics, and we do it, must make sure that they do not depend on one single interest group. A good compromise is one where everybody makes a contribution."― Angela Merkel