More From George Eliot
- "The sons of Judah have to choose that God may again choose them. The divine principle of our race is action, choice, resolved memory."
- "For what is love itself, for the one we love best? An enfolding of immeasurable cares which yet are better than any joys outside our love."
- "But what we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope."
More In Great
- "The cloning of humans is on most of the lists of things to worry about from Science, along with behaviour control, genetic engineering, transplanted heads, computer poetry and the unrestrained growth of plastic flowers."― Lewis Thomas
- "A great city is that which has the greatest men and women."― Walt Whitman
- "In fact a lot of them I think are absolute baloney. Those Charles Olsens and people like that. At first I was interested in seeing what they were up to, what they were doing, why they were doing it. They never moved me in the way that one is moved by true poetry."― Norman MacCaig