More From Francois de La Rochefoucauld
- "Our aversion to lying is commonly a secret ambition to make what we say considerable, and have every word received with a religious respect."
- "What seems to be generosity is often no more than disguised ambition, which overlooks a small interest in order to secure a great one."
- "Men often pass from love to ambition, but they seldom come back again from ambition to love."
More In Great
- "All great and beautiful work has come of first gazing without shrinking into the darkness."― John Ruskin
- "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge."― Benjamin Disraeli
- "He who attends to his greater self becomes a great man, and he who attends to his smaller self becomes a small man."― Mencius