More From Francois de La Rochefoucauld
- "We have no patience with other people’s vanity because it is offensive to our own."
- "The generality of virtuous women are like hidden treasures, they are safe only because nobody has sought after them."
- "One can find women who have never had one love affair, but it is rare indeed to find any who have had only one."
More In Great
- "There is no despair so absolute as that which comes with the first moments of our first great sorrow, when we have not yet known what it is to have suffered and be healed, to have despaired and have recovered hope."― George Eliot
- "Being is the great explainer."― Henry David Thoreau
- "Until you’re ready to look foolish, you’ll never have the possibility of being great."― Cher