More From Francois de La Rochefoucauld
- "Gratitude is merely the secret hope of further favors."
- "The moderation of people in prosperity is the effect of a smooth and composed temper, owing to the calm of their good fortune."
- "There is a kind of elevation which does not depend on fortune; it is a certain air which distinguishes us, and seems to destine us for great things; it is a price which we imperceptibly set upon ourselves."
More In Great
- "A great source of calamity lies in regret and anticipation; therefore a person is wise who thinks of the present alone, regardless of the past or future."― Oliver Goldsmith
- "The great person is ahead of their time, the smart make something out of it, and the blockhead, sets themselves against it."― Jean Baudrillard
- "I’d rather attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed."― Robert H. Schuller