More From Eugenio Montale
- "Poetry is the art which is technically within the grasp of everyone: a piece of paper and a pencil and one is ready."
- "There is poetry even in prose, in all the great prose which is not merely utilitarian or didactic: there exist poets who write in prose or at least in more or less apparent prose; millions of poets write verses which have no connection with poetry."
- "For my part, if I consider poetry as an object, I maintain that it is born of the necessity of adding a vocal sound (speech) to the hammering of the first tribal music."
More In Poetry
- "The great watershed of modern poetry is French, more than English."― Robert Morgan
- "Poetry is simply the most beautiful, impressive, and widely effective mode of saying things."― Matthew Arnold
- "I’ve always written, all my life, and when I was very young I developed an interest in poetry."― Jeffery Deaver