More From Eugenio Montale
- "Happiness, for you we walk on a knife edge. To the eyes you are a flickering light, to the feet, thin ice that cracks; and so may no one touch you who loves you."
- "However, poetry does not live solely in books or in school anthologies."
- "True poetry is similar to certain pictures whose owner is unknown and which only a few initiated people know."
More In Poetry
- "Bleak House is just the most astounding piece of work. There’s huge, visionary poetry in it."― Simon Callow
- "One difference between poetry and lyrics is that lyrics sort of fade into the background. They fade on the page and live on the stage when set to music."― Stephen Sondheim
- "Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful."― Rita Dove