More From Elia Kazan
- "Stylized acting and direction is to realistic acting and direction as poetry is to prose."
- "I was both very successful and very left; the living demonstration of how you could be on the left and still be in the gossip columns and be envied for the money you made."
- "I want to thank the Academy for its courage and generosity."
More In Art
- "It took the Metropolitan Museum of Art nearly 50 years to wake up to Pablo Picasso. It didn’t own one of his paintings until 1946, when Gertrude Stein bequeathed that indomitable quasi-Cubistic picture of herself – a portrait of the writer as a sumo Buddha – to the Met, principally because she disliked the Museum of Modern Art."― Jerry Saltz
- "A canon is antithetical to everything the New York art world has been about for the past 40 years, during which we went from being the center of the art world to being one of many centers."― Jerry Saltz
- "Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable."― George Bernard Shaw