More From Edward Gibbon
- "I understand by this passion the union of desire, friendship, and tenderness, which is inflamed by a single female, which prefers her to the rest of her sex, and which seeks her possession as the supreme or the sole happiness of our being."
- "Hope, the best comfort of our imperfect condition."
- "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect."
More In Sympathy
- "Have patience with all things, But, first of all with yourself."― Saint Francis de Sales
- "I very much dislike the intolerance and moralism of many Christians, and feel more sympathy with Honest Doubters than with them."― A. N. Wilson
- "Since this war began our sympathy has gone out to all the suffering people who have been dragged into it. Further hundreds of millions have become involved since I spoke at Limerick fortnight ago."― Eamon de Valera