More From Edward Gibbon
- "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect."
- "The courage of a soldier is found to be the cheapest and most common quality of human nature."
- "Every man who rises above the common level has received two educations: the first from his teachers; the second, more personal and important, from himself."
More In Sympathy
- "Learning a foreign language, and the culture that goes with it, is one of the most useful things we can do to broaden the empathy and imaginative sympathy and cultural outlook of children."― Michael Gove
- "Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps."― William Blake
- "Almost all of our sorrows spring out of our relations with other people."― Arthur Schopenhauer