More From Doris Lessing
- "I don’t think that the feminist movement has done much for the characters of women."
- "I think kids ought to travel. I think it’s very good to carry kids around. It’s good for them. Of course it’s tough on the parents."
- "It’s lovely to have money to give away – that’s the bonus of winning the Nobel."
More In Best
- "Some people have such a talent for making the best of a bad situation that they go around creating bad situations so they can make the best of them."― Jean Kerr
- "I am fussy, about my diet and straining my voice. I know, sounds a bit over the top. But I’m not as bad as I used to be. These days I don’t drink alcohol for five days before a show – very dehydrating for the vocal cords, and all that acid reflux. I used to ban it for a fortnight. Nightmare."― Katherine Jenkins
- "One of the best temporary cures for pride and affectation is seasickness; a man who wants to vomit never puts on airs."― Josh Billings