More From Donna Shalala
- "We need to drive down requirements for the schools. In the 19th century, we increased the quality of the schools by higher education saying, ‘You can’t come in unless you have these skills, unless you’ve taken these courses.’ We did that in Wisconsin when I was there, it helped to transform the secondary school system."
- "Sex education has to do with what’s in people’s head."
- "But for me, it is when a student has died. I find the death of a young person the most difficult and painful of times. To explain it to other young people, to see a bright future snuffed out, is just awful. I am haunted by those deaths."
More In Teacher
- "Poetry is also the physical self of the poet, and it is impossible to separate the poet from his poetry."― Salvatore Quasimodo
- "My first acting job happened by accident when I was really young. I was in fifth grade and my teacher saw an ad in the paper and took me to the audition after school and I got the part."― Ajay Naidu
- "I could undertake to be an efficient pupil if it were possible to find an efficient teacher."― Gertrude Stein