More From Donna Shalala
- "I am interested in getting people to use the healthcare system at the right time, getting them to see the doctor early enough, before a small health problem turns serious."
- "Higher education is one of few areas where this country competes with the rest of the world and wins. The best of American higher education outstrips any in the world. Look where the rest of the world goes for higher education, for graduate degrees. They come here."
- "But for me, it is when a student has died. I find the death of a young person the most difficult and painful of times. To explain it to other young people, to see a bright future snuffed out, is just awful. I am haunted by those deaths."
More In Teacher
- "Tragedy is a hell of a teacher. It’s much too strict, but it’s a hell of a teacher."― Harlan Coben
- "I was 20 years old, working as a roofer and a telemarketer and driving a taxi, just barely getting by. A friend of a friend suggested I try acting. I was like, ‘Why? What am I going to do? Community theater?’ But I took a class, and the teacher thought that I had potential, so I moved to Vancouver and started auditioning."― Cory Monteith
- "The office of the public teacher is an unenviable and thankless one."― Felix Adler