More From Donna Shalala
- "I would argue that we have a generation of young people, particularly minorities, who are no longer putting up with the kinds of things their parents put up with. They’re much more self-confident. It’s no longer acceptable to make fun of people because of race or sex. But it has always been present in American society."
- "But for me, it is when a student has died. I find the death of a young person the most difficult and painful of times. To explain it to other young people, to see a bright future snuffed out, is just awful. I am haunted by those deaths."
- "Higher education is one of few areas where this country competes with the rest of the world and wins. The best of American higher education outstrips any in the world. Look where the rest of the world goes for higher education, for graduate degrees. They come here."
More In Education
- "The simplest schoolboy is now familiar with truths for which Archimedes would have sacrificed his life."― Ernest Renan
- "In regard to education, something has been done by the Provincial Legislature; but to build churches, and to place clergymen is a work of greater difficulty."― John Strachan
- "It is always in season for old men to learn."― Aeschylus