More From Donald Rumsfeld
- "In our system leadership is by consent, not command. To lead a President must persuade. Personal contacts and experiences help shape his thinking. They can be critical to his persuasiveness and thus to his leadership."
- "First rule of politics: you can’t win unless you’re on the ballot. Second rule: If you run, you may lose. And, if you tie, you do not win."
- "Don’t necessarily avoid sharp edges. Occasionally they are necessary to leadership."
More In Government
- "If you look at things that really affect people’s lives – sport, the arts, charities – they were always at the back of the queue for government money – health, social security, defence, pensions were all way ahead. And each of those areas – sports, the arts, the lottery – got relatively petty cash from the government."― John Major
- "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories."― Thomas Jefferson
- "A pure democracy is a society consisting of a small number of citizens, who assemble and administer the government in person."― James Madison