More From Donald Knuth
- "Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do."
- "I currently use Ubuntu Linux, on a standalone laptop – it has no Internet connection. I occasionally carry flash memory drives between this machine and the Macs that I use for network surfing and graphics; but I trust my family jewels only to Linux."
- "Let us change our traditional attitude to the construction of programs. Instead of imagining that our main task is to instruct a computer what to do, let us concentrate rather on explaining to human beings what we want a computer to do."
More In Computers
- "Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don’t need to be done."― Andy Rooney
- "Computers in classrooms are the filmstrips of the 1990s."― Clifford Stoll
- "I think I was lucky to come of age in a place and time – the American South in the 1960s and ’70s – when the machine hadn’t completely taken over life. The natural world was still the world, and machines – TV, telephone, cars – were still more or less ancillary, and computers were unheard of in everyday life."― Ben Fountain