More From Diane Wakoski
- "I think I’m a very good reader of poetry, but obviously, like everybody, I have a set of criteria for reading poems, and I’m not shy about presenting them, so if people ask for my critical response to a poem, I tell them what works and why, and what doesn’t work and why."
- "From reading a previous answer, you know that I consider all those aspects to be part of American cultural myth and thus they figure into good American poetry, whether the poet is aware of what he is doing or not."
- "I have always wanted what I have now come to call the voice of personal narrative. That has always been the appealing voice in poetry. It started for me lyrically in Shakespeare’s sonnets."
More In Poetry
- "Great is the power of habit. It teaches us to bear fatigue and to despise wounds and pain."― Marcus Tullius Cicero
- "Publishing a volume of verse is like dropping a rose petal down the Grand Canyon and waiting for the echo."― Don Marquis
- "Poetry is one of the destinies of speech… One would say that the poetic image, in its newness, opens a future to language."― Gaston Bachelard