More From Denis Diderot
- "When science, art, literature, and philosophy are simply the manifestation of personality they are on a level where glorious and dazzling achievements are possible, which can make a man’s name live for thousands of years."
- "Morals are in all countries the result of legislation and government; they are not African or Asian or European: they are good or bad."
- "Patriotism is an ephemeral motive that scarcely ever outlasts the particular threat to society that aroused it."
More In Poetry
- "I think that great poetry is the most interesting and complex use of the poet’s language at that point in history, and so it’s even more exciting when you read a poet like Yeats, almost 100 years old now, and you think that perhaps no one can really top that."― Diane Wakoski
- "Poetry is a totally different art than film."― Stan Brakhage
- "Bleak House is just the most astounding piece of work. There’s huge, visionary poetry in it."― Simon Callow