More From David Rockefeller
- "My grandfather, along with Carnegie, was a pioneer in philanthropy, which my father then practiced on a very large scale."
- "I am convinced that material things can contribute a lot to making one’s life pleasant, but, basically, if you do not have very good friends and relatives who matter to you, life will be really empty and sad and material things cease to be important."
- "Philanthropy is involved with basic innovations that transform society, not simply maintaining the status quo or filling basic social needs that were formerly the province of the public sector."
More In Education
- "If we help an educated man’s daughter to go to Cambridge are we not forcing her to think not about education but about war? – not how she can learn, but how she can fight in order that she might win the same advantages as her brothers?"― Virginia Woolf
- "Community colleges are one of America’s great social inventions a gateway to the future for first time students looking for an affordable college education, and for mid-career students looking to get ahead in the workplace."― Barbara Mikulski
- "Education is the vaccine for violence."― Edward James Olmos