More From Dave Brubeck
- "I had the first integrated Army band in World War II."
- "Many people don’t understand how disciplined you have to be to play jazz… And that is really the idea of democracy – freedom within the Constitution or discipline. You don’t just get out there and do anything you want."
- "That’s the beauty of music. You can take a theme from a Bach sacred chorale and improvise. It doesn’t make any difference where the theme comes from; the treatment of it can be jazz."
More In Freedom
- "“Freedom from fear” could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights."― Dag Hammarskjold
- "The truth is I had lots of rehab and now I have a clean bill of health."― Samantha Morton
- "But it required a disastrous, internecine war to bring this question of human freedom to a crisis, and the process of striking the shackles from the slave was accomplished in a single hour."― Wendell Willkie