More From Dave Brubeck
- "Many people don’t understand how disciplined you have to be to play jazz… And that is really the idea of democracy – freedom within the Constitution or discipline. You don’t just get out there and do anything you want."
- "I knew I wanted to write on religious themes when I was a GI in World War II. I saw and experienced so much violence that I thought I could express my outrage best with music."
- "I’m always hoping for the nights that are inspired where you almost have an out of body experience."
More In Freedom
- "Maybe a part of me recognized how right the improvising spirit of jazz is. Not the sounds, but the freedom to work with musicians who work that way. It felt very natural to me, but I think there’s a way to do it without it being a jazz record."― Jane Siberry
- "We know from our own history that democratic institutions take decades to mature, and we know from past conflicts that freedom is not free."― Jim DeMint
- "There is massive propaganda for everyone to consume. Consumption is good for profits and consumption is good for the political establishment."― Noam Chomsky