More From Dave Brubeck
- "Many people don’t understand how disciplined you have to be to play jazz… And that is really the idea of democracy – freedom within the Constitution or discipline. You don’t just get out there and do anything you want."
- "That’s the beauty of music. You can take a theme from a Bach sacred chorale and improvise. It doesn’t make any difference where the theme comes from; the treatment of it can be jazz."
- "I knew I wanted to write on religious themes when I was a GI in World War II. I saw and experienced so much violence that I thought I could express my outrage best with music."
More In Freedom
- "Carry out the republican principle of universal suffrage, or strike it from your banners and substitute ‘Freedom and Power to one half of society, and Submission and Slavery to the other.’"― Ernestine Rose
- "Freedom comes only to those who no longer ask of life that it shall yield them any of those personal goods that are subject to the mutations of time."― Bertrand Russell
- "To me, freedom entitles you to do something, not to not do something."― Shel Silverstein