More From Dave Brubeck
- "Jazz stands for freedom. It’s supposed to be the voice of freedom: Get out there and improvise, and take chances, and don’t be a perfectionist – leave that to the classical musicians."
- "Many people don’t understand how disciplined you have to be to play jazz… And that is really the idea of democracy – freedom within the Constitution or discipline. You don’t just get out there and do anything you want."
- "I had the first integrated Army band in World War II."
More In Freedom
- "While I relish our warm months, winter forms our character and brings out our best."― Tom Allen
- "If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate."― Oliver Wendell Holmes
- "I’m just kind of taking a break now and enjoying the freedom of making my own choices. When you’re on a television show for six years, they run your schedule."― Andrew Shue