More From Dave Brubeck
- "I had the first integrated Army band in World War II."
- "I knew I wanted to write on religious themes when I was a GI in World War II. I saw and experienced so much violence that I thought I could express my outrage best with music."
- "Many people don’t understand how disciplined you have to be to play jazz… And that is really the idea of democracy – freedom within the Constitution or discipline. You don’t just get out there and do anything you want."
More In Freedom
- "All Americans value the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press, and I believe this is essential for our continued way of life. But with this freedom comes responsibility. That responsibility has been abdicated here by some in the media and some in the government."― Steven Hatfill
- "If the events of September 11, 2001, have proven anything, it’s that the terrorists can attack us, but they can’t take away what makes us American – our freedom, our liberty, our civil rights. No, only Attorney General John Ashcroft can do that."― Jon Stewart
- "I was about 14, and my friend’s stepdad asked me to do a 10K with him because his son – who was more into basketball – didn’t want to. It was amazing, and I still remember the time I got: 48:23."― Sean Astin