More From Dave Brubeck
- "My dad was the manager at the 45,000-acre ranch, but he owned his own 1,200-acre ranch, and I owned four cattle that he gave to me when I graduated from grammar school, from the eighth grade. And those cows multiplied, and he kept track of them for years for me. And that was my herd."
- "Many people don’t understand how disciplined you have to be to play jazz… And that is really the idea of democracy – freedom within the Constitution or discipline. You don’t just get out there and do anything you want."
- "After the Second World War, I returned to California to study composition with Darius Milhaud, who wrote wonderful works like ‘Le Boeuf sur le Toit’ and ‘La Cretion du Monde.’ I especially enjoy his work for two pianos, ‘Scaramouche.’"
More In Sports
- "The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight."― Ben Hogan
- "Black people dominate sports in the United States. 20% of the population and 90% of the final four."― Chris Rock
- "For a while I was on the cover of every Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, which was regarded as the pinnacle of success in America."― Elle Macpherson