More From Dave Brubeck
- "I had the first integrated Army band in World War II."
- "Jazz stands for freedom. It’s supposed to be the voice of freedom: Get out there and improvise, and take chances, and don’t be a perfectionist – leave that to the classical musicians."
- "That’s the beauty of music. You can take a theme from a Bach sacred chorale and improvise. It doesn’t make any difference where the theme comes from; the treatment of it can be jazz."
More In Sports
- "Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five."― John Updike
- "I don’t necessarily love the sports per se, I love the stories behind them. Also in a kind of perverse way I like to study what it does to us, why we care so much. It’s caring about something that’s utterly meaningless."― Harlan Coben
- "When you walk out of your house in the morning, you don’t know what you’re going to see."― Kyle Chandler