More From Dan Savage
- "The Bible is a radically pro-slavery document. Slave owners waved Bibles over their heads in the Civil War and justified it."
- "My dad was a homicide cop in the gay neighborhood in the city when gay neighborhoods were desperate, depressing, sad places run by the mob. The only gay people he’d met when I came out to him were corpses."
- "I don’t think that sin and pursuing happiness are not necessarily the same thing."
More In Freedom
- "Justice is never given; it is exacted and the struggle must be continuous for freedom is never a final fact, but a continuing evolving process to higher and higher levels of human, social, economic, political and religious relationship."― A. Philip Randolph
- "When I was little, my mom tells me, I used to say things like, ‘Mom do you hear the string section? Do you hear the string section?’ And she would look at me and say, ‘No honey, I don’t know what you’re talking about.’"― Tori Amos
- "And what do Democrats stand for, if they are so ready to defame concerned citizens as the “mob” – a word betraying a Marie Antoinette delusion of superiority to ordinary mortals. I thought my party was populist, attentive to the needs and wishes of those outside the power structure. And as a product of the 1960s, I thought the Democratic party was passionately committed to freedom of thought and speech."― Camille Paglia