More From Dan Savage
- "I didn’t want kids to think that to be happy, they had to be famous or rich or live in the big city."
- "Women can go on marrying and pretending that their boyfriends and husbands are Mr. Darcy or some RomCom dream man. But where’s that going to get ’em? Besides divorce court?"
- "Christmas can have a real melancholy aspect, ’cause it packages itself as this idea of perfect family cohesion and love, and you’re always going to come up short when you measure your personal life against the idealized personal lives that are constantly thrust in our faces, primarily by TV commercials."
More In Freedom
- "American movies and music deliver themes of freedom, innocence, and power that appeal to others – partly because America itself was put together out of a multiplicity of national traditions."― Todd Gitlin
- "Your life is the sum result of all the choices you make, both consciously and unconsciously. If you can control the process of choosing, you can take control of all aspects of your life. You can find the freedom that comes from being in charge of yourself."― Robert Foster Bennett
- "At root fame is a sham. I’m not going to live forever and if I am I certainly need don’t you to tell me that so that I will buy a car or a box of dried up crackers."― Nick Mancuso