More From Dan Savage
- "Christmas can have a real melancholy aspect, ’cause it packages itself as this idea of perfect family cohesion and love, and you’re always going to come up short when you measure your personal life against the idealized personal lives that are constantly thrust in our faces, primarily by TV commercials."
- "The Bible is a radically pro-slavery document. Slave owners waved Bibles over their heads in the Civil War and justified it."
- "I don’t think it’s the responsibility of gays and lesbians to reinvent the family."
More In Best
- "My philosophy is to do the best you can for somebody. Help. It’s not just what do you for yourself. It’s how you treat people decently. The golden rule. There isn’t big anything better than the golden rule. It’s in every major religion in one language or another."― Art Linkletter
- "Amidst all the clutter, beyond all the obstacles, aside from all the static, are the goals set. Put your head down, do the best job possible, let the flak pass, and work towards those goals."― Donald Rumsfeld
- "The best way to win against the intolerable is to tolerate them, for this they have seldom dealt with. Your indulgence may soften their malice and open their eyes to more honorable ways."― Bryant H. McGill