More From Damien Hirst
- "I was taught to confront things you can’t avoid. Death is one of those things. To live in a society where you’re trying not to look at it is stupid because looking at death throws us back into life with more vigour and energy. The fact that flowers don’t last for ever makes them beautiful."
- "In an artwork you’re always looking for artistic decisions, so an ashtray is perfect. An ashtray has got life and death."
- "Since I was a child, death is definitely something that I think about every day. But I think that everybody does. You try and avoid it, but it’s such a big thing that you can’t."
More In Freedom
- "The increased presence of Muslims in Italy and in Europe is directly proportional to our loss of freedom."― Oriana Fallaci
- "Where globalization means, as it so often does, that the rich and powerful now have new means to further enrich and empower themselves at the cost of the poorer and weaker, we have a responsibility to protest in the name of universal freedom."― Nelson Mandela
- "I believe in trying to get a balance between individual freedom on the one hand and social responsibility on the other."― Chris Patten