More From Damien Hirst
- "In an artwork you’re always looking for artistic decisions, so an ashtray is perfect. An ashtray has got life and death."
- "Being best is a false goal, you have to measure success on your own terms."
- "But I think it’s more that when you’re young, you’re invincible, you’re immortal – or at least you think you are. The possibilities are limitless, you’re inventing the future. Then you get older and suddenly you have a history. It’s fixed. You can’t change anything. I find that a bit disturbing, to be honest."
More In Art
- "Rules and models destroy genius and art."― William Hazlitt
- "A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things, but cannot receive great ones."― Lord Chesterfield
- "Those who love him love that he sells the most art; they take it as a point of faith that this proves Kinkade is the best. But his fans don’t only rely on this supply-and-demand justification. They go back to values."― Jerry Saltz