More From Damien Hirst
- "In an artwork you’re always looking for artistic decisions, so an ashtray is perfect. An ashtray has got life and death."
- "Great art – or good art – is when you look at it, experience it and it stays in your mind. I don’t think conceptual art and traditional art are all that different."
- "I was taught to confront things you can’t avoid. Death is one of those things. To live in a society where you’re trying not to look at it is stupid because looking at death throws us back into life with more vigour and energy. The fact that flowers don’t last for ever makes them beautiful."
More In Art
- "The biggest problem with every art is by the use of appearance to create a loftier reality."― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time."― Thomas Merton
- "It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge."― Albert Einstein