More From Barbara Tuchman
- "To a historian libraries are food, shelter, and even muse."
- "Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."
- "The fleet sailed to its war base in the North Sea, headed not so much for some rendezvous with glory as for rendezvous with discretion."
More In War
- "What we want to do is reform the welfare system in the way that Tony Blair talked about 13 years ago but never achieved – a system that was created for the days after the Second World War. That prize is now I think achievable."― Iain Duncan Smith
- "I thought the Vietnam war was an utter, unmitigated disaster, so it was very hard for me to say anything good about it."― George McGovern
- "You cannot avoid war in life, you cannot avoid the fear of terrorism, you cannot avoid those things now, they are a part of everyday demeanor."― John Mayer