More From Barbara Tuchman
- "The fleet sailed to its war base in the North Sea, headed not so much for some rendezvous with glory as for rendezvous with discretion."
- "To a historian libraries are food, shelter, and even muse."
- "Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."
More In War
- "It was all about music, about getting your friends to come and see you play. I don’t see that same intimacy happening very much today."― Layne Staley
- "What gunpowder did for war the printing press has done for the mind."― Wendell Phillips
- "You know, I’ve carried a weapon for 10 years, never shot anybody, never robbed anybody. It has saved my life twice, but I know they’re not toys. I practice with firearms, I enjoy shooting, it’s a hobby of mine and I have a healthy respect for them."― Luke Scott