More From Barbara Kingsolver
- "I used to think religion was just more of the same thing. Dump responsibility on the big guy. Now I see an importance in that. It’s a relief to accept that not everything is under your control."
- "I suppose that is my central obsession. What we owe to society, what we owe to ourselves."
- "Empathy is really the opposite of spiritual meanness. It’s the capacity to understand that every war is both won and lost. And that someone else’s pain is as meaningful as your own."
More In History
- "I wouldn’t attach too much importance to these student riots. I remember when I was a student at the Sorbonne in Paris, I used to go out and riot occasionally."― John Foster Dulles
- "The past actually happened but history is only what someone wrote down."― A. Whitney Brown
- "Right around the end of the fifties, college students and young people in general, began to realize that this music was almost like a history of our country – this music contained the real history of the people of this country."― Jackson Browne