More From Arthur Helps
- "There are no better cosmetics than a severe temperance and purity, modesty and humility, a gracious temper and calmness of spirit; and there is no true beauty without the signatures of these graces in the very countenance."
- "We all admire the wisdom of people who come to us for advice."
- "Strength is born in the deep silence of long-suffering hearts; not amid joy."
More In Wisdom
- "Genius unrefined resembles a flash of lightning, but wisdom is like the sun."― Franz Grillparzer
- "The answer to old age is to keep one’s mind busy and to go on with one’s life as if it were interminable. I always admired Chekhov for building a new house when he was dying of tuberculosis."― Leon Edel
- "You want people walking away from the conversation with some kernel of wisdom or some kind of impact."― Harry Dean Stanton