More From Arnold J. Toynbee
- "The human race’s prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves."
- "Civilization is a movement and not a condition, a voyage and not a harbor."
- "Apathy can be overcome by enthusiasm, and enthusiasm can only be aroused by two things: first, an ideal, with takes the imagination by storm, and second, a definite intelligible plan for carrying that ideal into practice."
More In History
- "Society is now one polished horde, formed of two mighty tries, the Bores and Bored."― Lord Byron
- "So I really would like to see both parties respond to the poor with greater commitment. But I’ve got to tell you, the Democrats, I feel, are doing a better job in that respect than Republicans are."― Tony Campolo
- "No greater nor more affectionate honor can be conferred on an American than to have a public school named after him."― Herbert Hoover