More From Arnold J. Toynbee
- "The human race’s prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves."
- "Sooner or later, man has always had to decide whether he worships his own power or the power of God."
- "The equation of religion with belief is rather recent."
More In History
- "When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become."― Louis Pasteur
- "We are a big country, with lots of advantages and history. We are proud to be French. We have to call on patriotism at this time… to ask for an effort in the battle against debt."― Francois Hollande
- "Today, for the first time in history, a Bishop of Rome sets foot on English soil. This fair land, once a distant outpost of the pagan world, has become, through the preaching of the Gospel, a beloved and gifted portion of Christ’s vineyard."― Pope John Paul II