More From Anita Brookner
- "Accountability in friendship is the equivalent of love without strategy."
- "Life… is not simply a series of exciting new ventures. The future is not always a whole new ball game. There tends to be unfinished business. One trails all sorts of things around with one, things that simply won’t be got rid of."
- "Time misspent in youth is sometimes all the freedom one ever has."
More In Religion
- "But, strictly speaking, this mythology was no essential part of ancient religion, for it had no sacred sanction and no binding force on the worshippers."― William Robertson Smith
- "In every religion there is an element of the supernatural, varying with the influence of pure reason over its devotees."― Charles Eastman
- "A religion that takes no account of practical affairs and does not help to solve them is no religion."― Mahatma Gandhi