More From Anita Brookner
- "Life… is not simply a series of exciting new ventures. The future is not always a whole new ball game. There tends to be unfinished business. One trails all sorts of things around with one, things that simply won’t be got rid of."
- "Time misspent in youth is sometimes all the freedom one ever has."
- "Good women always think it is their fault when someone else is being offensive. Bad women never take the blame for anything."
More In Religion
- "It’s fun being in Islamic countries, to know there’s only one religion. There’s order. You wear a burqa. There’s no choice. People are happy with that."― Prince
- "There are three modes of bearing the ills of life, by indifference, by philosophy, and by religion."― Charles Caleb Colton
- "I count religion but a childish toy, and hold there is no sin but ignorance."― Christopher Marlowe