More From Anita Brookner
- "Accountability in friendship is the equivalent of love without strategy."
- "The essence of romantic love is that wonderful beginning, after which sadness and impossibility may become the rule."
- "Good women always think it is their fault when someone else is being offensive. Bad women never take the blame for anything."
More In Religion
- "I figure no matter how old you are, it’s always going to be your first marriage and no life experience is going to make you a better judge of who you should marry."― Utada Hikaru
- "Some of my friends who know me best say they wouldn’t trade places with me for $1 million because of the pace I lead."― Loretta Lynn
- "What is ominous is the ease with which some people go from saying that they don’t like something to saying that the government should forbid it. When you go down that road, don’t expect freedom to survive very long."― Thomas Sowell