More From Andrew Sullivan
- "My own early crusade for same-sex marriage, for example, is now mainstream gay politics. It wasn’t when I started."
- "Al Gore’s problem, in my view, is that he never liked politics. He’s actually deeply uncomfortable in it but felt he had to do it because of his father. He’s much more comfortable in a private sector role and has, in fact, been much more successful in a private sector role, and I admire him for that."
- "When I first started talking about gay marriage, most people in the gay community looked at me as if I was insane or possibly a fascist reactionary."
More In Friendship
- "We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we’re not alone."― Orson Welles
- "If it’s very painful for you to criticize your friends – you’re safe in doing it. But if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that’s the time to hold your tongue."― Alice Duer Miller
- "There is something in the unselfish and self-sacrificing love of a brute, which goes directly to the heart of him who has had frequent occasion to test the paltry friendship and gossamer fidelity of mere Man."― Edgar Allan Poe