More From Amy Tan
- "I read a book a day when I was a kid. My family was not literary; we did not have any books in the house."
- "I would find myself laughing and wondering where these ideas came from. You can call it imagination, I suppose. But I was grateful for wherever they came from."
- "I was intelligent enough to make up my own mind. I not only had freedom of choice, I had freedom of expression."
More In Family
- "You know, my family is very musical, I was surrounded by it. And from four years old I was the one that asked my mother could I take piano lessons."― John Legend
- "The summer before I went to culinary school, my family wanted me to take a job on a movie to make sure that I was making the right decision. I think they hoped I would change my mind about culinary school."― Giada De Laurentiis
- "They needed someone to write a script of The Great Gatsby very quickly for the movie they were making. I took this job so I’d be sure to have some dough to support my family."― Francis Ford Coppola