More From Ambrose Bierce
- "Sabbath – a weekly festival having its origin in the fact that God made the world in six days and was arrested on the seventh."
- "History is an account, mostly false, of events, mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools."
- "The slightest acquaintance with history shows that powerful republics are the most warlike and unscrupulous of nations."
More In Success
- "I had come to the point when I realized it was unlikely that my film career was going to move beyond a certain level of role. And I was – because I had graphic instances of it – handicapped by the success of Star Trek. A director would say, ‘I don’t want Jean-Luc Picard in my movie’ – and this was compounded by X-Men as well."― Patrick Stewart
- "Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all."― George Washington
- "I worked half my life to be an overnight success, and still it took me by surprise."― Jessica Savitch