More From Ambrose Bierce
- "Beauty, n: the power by which a woman charms a lover and terrifies a husband."
- "Religion. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
- "Eloquence, n. The art of orally persuading fools that white is the color that it appears to be. It includes the gift of making any color appear white."
More In Patience
- "How poor are they that have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees?"― William Shakespeare
- "People live longer today than they ever have. They live happier lives, have more knowledge, more information. All this is the result of communications technology. How is any of that bad?"― Tom Clancy
- "Everyone ought to bear patiently the results of his own conduct."― Phaedrus