More From Allen Tate
- "According to its doctors, my one intransigent desire is to have been a Confederate general, and because I could not or would not become anything else, I set up for poet and beg an to invent fictions about the personal ambitions that my society has no use for."
- "Religion is the sole technique for the validating of values."
- "There is probably nothing wrong with art for art’s sake if we take the phrase seriously, and not take it to mean the kind of poetry written in England forty years ago."
More In History
- "I do not speak Hebrew, but I understand that it has no word for ‘history.’ The closest word for it is memory."― David Miliband
- "I sent American troops to Iraq to make its people free, not to make them American. Iraqis will write their own history and find their own way."― George W. Bush
- "The 1st Amendment protects the right to speak, not the right to spend."― Byron White